Chris converted the RV in which he lives during contract jobs into a traveling kitchen. He loves to share his culinary discoveries.
What Is the Audew Jump Starter?
The Audew Jump Starter with 500 starting amps and storage capacity of 20,000 mAh comes with the following claim: “Scope of use: Any gasoline engine with any displacement on the market, diesel with a maximum of 8.5L, 12V motorcycle, speedboat and lawn mower can be used.”
[By the way, if you are skimming this article, make sure to read the Addendum at the end. There is some helpful information in that paragraph.]
Another claim on their web site is that this jump starter has the storage capability (20,000 mAh) to start a 3.0L gasoline engine thirty-five times (50 times elsewhere on the website, but the user’s guide says 35, so I am using that figure).
This unit features the jump starter mode, power bank capability, two USB outlets, an in and out type C, a 15V/10A outlet, and an LED flashlight with an SOS pattern. These are standard on jump starters by nearly every company, so I will not include those in my comparisons.
Points of comparison:
- Cold crank amps (also known as starting amps, see my description of peak amps vs cold crank amps below).
- Storage capacity
- Vehicle engine size
Audew 1500 Amp Car Jump Starter
Opening the Box
Here is what you should find when you open the box:
- The jump starter unit.
- Jump starter cables and clamps
- One USB to mini USB cord.
- One mini USB to mini USB cord.
- Adapter for automobile electronic devices (Anything with cigarette lighter style plug on the end of the cord)
- AC adapter for charging the unit inside your home or hotel room.
- Carrying case.
Crank Amps, the Most Important Thing to Consider
The most important thing to consider when shopping for a jump starter is cold crank or starter amps. This is the power that will start your vehicle. 500 cold crank amps is sufficient to start any gasoline and many diesel engines.
Nearly all the companies that sell jump starters report what is called peak amps which are the maximum amps a battery is able to produce and lasts only a few seconds. Peak amps are a safety feature. They have nothing to do with starting your vehicle.
So why do these companies report peak amps rather than cold crank amps? The number is bigger and looks more impressive. That’s it. And if one company reports only peak amps, then all of the sellers of jump starters feel they must follow suit or their products will appear to be less powerful.
If you are considering a jump starter from a company that reports only peak amps and not cold crank or starter amps, you have no idea if the jump starter is powerful enough to start your vehicle.
In my opinion, a company that reports only peak amps and does not mention cold crank amps is not being honest with its customers.
Read More from AxleAddict
I cannot compare jump starters using the peak amps to describe the power of the unit. Just because a jump starter has high peak amps does not mean it will have sufficient cold crank amps. There is little correlation between cold crank (starter) amps and peak amps.
The three jump starters I will compare do include peak amps, but they also report the cold crank amps.
- Audew 1500 Amp Car Jump Starter
- Rockpals 1500 Amp Jump Starter
- AWAKMER Car Jump Starter 1500A Peak
Audew Jump Starter Compared With Two Competitors
|↓Specs/Model→||Audew 1500A||Rockpals 1500A||Imazing 1500A|
Cold Crank Amps
Max Size Engine
12V, Any Gas Engine. Up to 8.5L Diesel
12V, Up to 8.0L Gas, 6.0L Diesel Engines
12V, Up to 8L Gas/6L Diesel
$89.99 ($79.99 with $10 coupon provided on Amazon
$94.95 ($73.99 with Amazon Prime)
$109.99 ($83.99 with Amazon Prime)
12 months free warranty & 180 days money back & 24/7 customer service.
Contact manufacturer for warranty information.Manufacturer's warranties may not apply in all cases.
6 months warranty service
I used the Audew 1500A Jump Starter on my 4.0 liter, 6 cylinder Jeep. The process was simple. To jump start a vehicle, I needed the jump starter and the cable/clamp component. I attached the cables to the jump starter and to my vehicle’s battery. The first time I attempted to start the engine, nothing happened. I went back and made sure of my connection to the vehicle’s battery and checked the connection to the jump starter. That’s where my problem was. The cable unit was not fully inserted into the jump starter. I wiggled it in farther and tried again.
The vehicle started more powerfully than it ever has since I’ve owned it.
I recommend the Audew 1500A Jump starter, and here are my reasons.
- It works.
- After seven jump starts and two times charging my phone, the charger was at 19%. It started my car again and lost only one percent. The charger now has 18%. If the rate of discharge is this slow until it hits 0%, I could jump start 18 more vehicles that have the same size engine or smaller, than mine without recharging. I know my total of jumpstarts does not quite match up with the company's claim that it will jump 35 vehicles on one charge, but I don't know what their testing conditions consisted of. I am saying, that in real life, I can expect the Audew 1500A Jump Starter to start my vehicle possibly 27 times without recharging the jump starter. That also includes two phone charges.
- The storage capacity of 20,000 milliamps per hour is much more than that of the two jump starters to which I compared it. That is a big selling point for me because I won’t just use this device to jump start my vehicle. I’ll take it camping to keep my phone charged and to use the built-in flashlight. I also own an Audew portable air compressor. This jump starter will operate the compressor
- Price. Even though the Rockpals jump starter is cheaper when comparing purchases with available coupons/discounts, the six dollar difference is worth it to get the Audew and its guarantee/warranty.
- The guarantee/warranty. The Audew 1500A Jump Starter comes with a six month period in which you can receive a refund for the purchase. The warranty is for one year. Customer service is available 24/7. The other two Jump starters I reviewed didn’t come close to that guarantee and warranty.
Among the companies who were willing to share their cold crank amps, the Audew1500A jump starter came out ahead on storage capacity, warranty, and price. This product will do the job you purchase it to do. It will start your vehicle when the battery is dead. Beyond that, it will recharge virtually every electronic device you own. I highly recommend the Audew 1500A Jump Starter to anyone who is thinking about purchasing such an item.
After considering this product for a couple of days, I have to say, I am impressed. Audew has put together a unit that will charge a vehicle over and over again while charging phones and other accessories at the same time. I've carried my Audew in my coat pocket while it charges my phone. I am no longer limited to leaving it in the car to charge. This is a powerful improvement over old electricity storage units. I am happy to recommend the Audew 1500 Amp Jump Starter to those seeking a jump starter for their vehicle and a power unit for their other digital items.
Addendum: On 04/15/2021 Jump Started a Ford F350
Today I helped my neighbor start his Ford F350 which, of course, is a diesel. I had my Audew jump starter charged to 100%. We hooked it up. On the first try, the big old diesel fired up. The charge on my jump starter was now 1%.
This is way above and beyond what even the Audew company claims.
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2019 Chris Mills