You press the button to lock or unlock your Mini and it does nothing. This can happen all of a sudden, sometimes affecting one key, sometimes both.
Cars This Advice Applies to
All first-generation ("facelift") Minis between 2004 and 2006: This means Mini One, Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper S and Mini One D.
If your car has the three-button key, this will work for you. If your car has the two-button key or the round "UFO" key, then it will not.
How to Fix It
TIP! Make sure you've got ALL the keys for the car. If you program one, it will de-program the others. This works perfectly with new keys, too.
1. Get inside and close all doors on the car.
2. Switch the ignition to the first position; within 5 seconds, turn back and remove key.
3. Within 30 seconds of removing the key, press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time (the "Mini" button in the middle is the lock button, and the button nearest the key blade is the unlock button).
4. While holding the unlock button, press and release the lock (centre Mini logo) button 3 times, within 10 seconds.
5. After the third press release both buttons and the doors should lock and then unlock.
6. If you have another key to program, start from the pressing both buttons at step 3.
7. To finalise, insert key and switch ignition to position one. Both keys should now work perfectly.
If this does not work, try again two or three times, sometimes the timings can be tricky to get right.
If it does not work after multiple attempts, there may be a problem with the receiver, for which you will need to contact your BMW Mini workshop.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2012 Signature Mini Specialists
chris milliken on July 22, 2019:
driver door latch is toast. stuck in lock, both cables are off. only access is from the top. have to get the door open to replace latch. any ideas?
chris on July 22, 2019:
latch on driver side is toast. stuck in lock position, both cables are off, cant open the door to remove and replace latch. I only have access from the top with window down. any ideas to get it unlocked? I can move the unlatch parts with stiff wire but still wont unlatch.
gary on May 24, 2019:
central locking button on my 12 plate on dash opens the doors but not the boot, is this normal
firdos on March 27, 2019:
hi we have mini cooper s 2007 problem is center lock not working with remote but car inside center lock button and manually key center lock working
Gil on November 27, 2018:
Someone know how to do for the key on the right hand pic??
ronald on October 04, 2018:
Hi all.......... I have the spare key for my bmw mini , however when I open the drivers door the passenger door doesn't open after I turn it twice , what could be the issue
Melvyn rhodes on June 11, 2018:
Our remote works passenger and rear door but not drivers, have used metal key for this ,any ideas.?
Dai o on June 04, 2018:
Cheers buddy,just saved me a few quid
mike c on March 10, 2016:
re my previous question, I seem to be able to reactivate either of these keys but cannot get both working correctly
mike c on March 10, 2016:
have just reactivated central locking on one of the keys to my 2004 mini cooper s using this method, however the key that was previously working ok has now been de programmed,any suggestions please