The author is a Mini specialist who is happy to help spread information about caring for these wonderful cars.
So, Your Mini Won't Lock or Unlock
Imagine this: you press the button to lock or unlock your Mini and it does nothing. This can happen all of a sudden, sometimes affecting only one key, but sometimes both. Would you know what to do in this situation?
Cars to Which This Advice Applies
All first-generation ("facelift") Minis between 2004 and 2006: This means Mini One, Mini Cooper, Mini Cooper S, and Mini One D.
If your car has the three-button key, this will work for you. If your car has the two-button key or the round "UFO" key, then it will not.
How to Fix It
TIP! Make sure you've got ALL the keys for the car. If you program one, it will de-program the others. This works perfectly with new keys, too.
1. Get inside and close all doors of the car.
2. Switch the ignition to the first position; within 5 seconds, turn back and remove the key.
Read More from AxleAddict
3. Within 30 seconds of removing the key, press and hold the lock and unlock buttons at the same time (the "Mini" button in the middle is the lock button, and the button nearest the key blade is the unlock button).
4. While holding the unlock button, press and release the lock (centre Mini logo) button 3 times, within 10 seconds.
5. After the third press release both buttons and the doors should lock and then unlock.
6. If you have another key to program, start at step 3 (by pressing both buttons).
7. To finalise, insert the key and switch ignition to position one. Both keys should now work perfectly.
If this does not work, try again two or three times, sometimes the timings can be tricky to get right.
If it does not work after multiple attempts, there may be a problem with the receiver, for which you will need to contact your BMW Mini workshop.
This article is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge. Content is for informational or entertainment purposes only and does not substitute for personal counsel or professional advice in business, financial, legal, or technical matters.
© 2012 Signature Mini Specialists