Creating a Custom Trunk Enclosure in a 370Z

It Started With an Idea

Like many of you I have always like the more custom look for my cars. I wanted something new, that not just anyone could buy in a store, so I decided to make a sub-woofer enclosure that no one had. I wanted it to be obviously custom, but still have a nice stock feel to it. I think what I did definitely fits that criteria; however, I can't just keep that to my self, so I want to share the process for your creative mind to try to build off of my ideas.

The Process

To start we had to tear out everything from the trunk. This means no more spare tire, and no more scissor jack. It was a relatively easy task to disassemble everything. Just looking around back there you will be able to see how to take everything out very easily, there is no trick to it, thanks Nissan. If you are reading this as a reference, but to do it to a different model car, I cannot say how your project will go. Here is what it will look like once everything is taken out.

Nothing spectacular, and I have no idea how the dirt got under everything like that. After removing everything we noticed that we actually had a lot more room to play with than we thought we would. We started playing with different ideas of how we were going to design it. We threw around all kinds of ideas, some of which were just ridiculous, but me being the simple minded person I am; we just went with an easy box design with a little bit of sexy thrown in. I wanted everything to be out of the way, and wires running around were a no-go The obvious decision was to go with a recessed sub, and recessed amp, hiding all of the wires under the base. Here is a mock up, while we were figuring out what we wanted to go with.

See what I mean by horribly ugly wires that need to be hidden. If you are into the car audio scene then you will already know what is going on under everything there, but for those of you who are wondering what the black and silver thing is on the bottom; that is Dynamat, the opposite side of it is really sticky, and it is used to prevent rattling, and stop excess noise. It is there to improve the sound quality.

This is the basic setup we decided to go with, we just had to make sure everything fit where we wanted it. The next step is to take the model three dimensional. That pretty much just means building the box for the sub. We didn't want the box to be anything difficult, so we just went with a shape that was easy to make and would fit nicely.

We made the box pretty much as big as it could be, so that there wouldn't be any unnecessary movement. This wont really be much of a problem anyway since the top will be the size of the whole trunk, but the bigger box really does help. The next decision was if we wanted to port it or not. The 370z is just a really small enclosed space already, so there isn't much need to port it for the extra little thump, but the port really makes the sound more precise and clear. We went with the port for the sounds quality. It was pretty easy to make, and totally worth it.

With the box built and ported, the hard part is out of the way. Now we build the top to the box, which ends up being the new trunk floor. We thought this was going to be a really difficult task, because of the shape of the 370z trunk being so unique. Then we realized that we could just use the old carpet and trace it out, so it ended up being really easy. We cut the floor into two pieces, so that we could easily get under it without ripping out everything, and taking out a ton of screws. Here is the floor before the carpeting.

Excuse all of the shoe prints. The trunk is finally starting to look like a trunk, but it shouldn't look like a trunk. We still need to make the holes for the sub, and the recession for the amp. unfortunately, I do not have pictures of us cutting the hole for the speaker or making the recession for the amp. Making the speaker hole is self explanatory. The recession was a lot easier than you may thing though. We started by cutting a hole a little bit bigger than the amp, not much though, then we essentially made a box under the "floor" with no top and only three sides. We left the side off where the wires would connect to the amp. This made for a great custom look with the amp flush to the floor and all wires hidden.

The enclosure is all finished and carpeted. I am not sure of the total time of the project, because we weren't just doing the trunk. We replaced all of the speakers in the car, and made a custom shift boot. I will add those pictures too as a courtesy, and because I just really love to show off my car. Here is what the trunk looks like right now, and some pictures from the rest of my full audio build, and the new shift boot.


No comments yet.

    Sign in or sign up and post using a HubPages Network account.

    0 of 8192 characters used
    Post Comment

    No HTML is allowed in comments, but URLs will be hyperlinked. Comments are not for promoting your articles or other sites.

    Click to Rate This Article